Thursday 28 July 2011

Scotland Cycling Holiday Day 1

Edinburgh and South Fife. Five days of glorious sunshine peddling & walking about in new territory.
I chose North Queensferry for my break, simply because it reminds me of my favourite place, San Francisco. It has a bay, it has bridges, it has hills and woodlands in the area and the gorgeous city of Edinburgh nearby.

view of the Forth Bridges


On my first day, I took it easy after the long drive up north. Twenty miles of gentle riding around the lovely bed and breakfast where I was staying, to get my bearings and to loosen up for the longer rides to follow. And of course to ride over the bridge first of all!

I pottered round the beautiful Forth Bridges down to Port Edgar marina. I love marinas - the sound of the sail masts clinging in the breeze is such  a delightful sound. 


Port Edgar

Back over the bridge and over Ferryhills down to Dalgety Bay to ride back along part of the Fife Coastal Path, through Inverkeithing and a little nature reserve. The path is great for riding on - some paved sections some dirt track (apart from one or two short flights of steps), it's sign posted well and the views are stunning.

Dalgety Bay

Looking towards Edinburgh & the Pentland Hills beyond

On my return to the b&b, I sat on the deck with a salad & glass of wine listening to the lull of the water and the occasional clatter of trains going over the bridge behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment